Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wedding Tradition Thursday

I went to a bridal show last weekend. My first, and it was EXTREMELY overwhelming. It was basically a lot of vendors trying to sell me things and tell me why I should choose them. I'm not getting married in Charleston so it is a moot point. Once I told them, they so kindly moved me along! While I was there I did learn an interesting fact about bridal bouquets.

Why do brides carry bouquets? Not that I don't absolutely love flowers especially roses and peonies...but how did it start?
*
*
*
*
This may surprise you...
*
*
*
*
During the Middle Ages, people (men and women) took their bath
O-N-C-E a year around April when the weather was starting to warm up. Marriages traditionally took place in June, and by that time the women had started to smell a bit. Therefore the bride would carry flowers to help cover the offensive odor.



*Husband-to-be...I PROMISE you I will shower on June 25...and every day before that.....and every day after that.








flowers     bathtime

1 comment:

  1. ew, so gross! i can't say i'll ever look at the bouquet the same again! lol.. can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete